Monday 9 June 2014

Positive Thinking

In which I bash my head off a brick wall.


I have, or rather had, a facebook friend. We met years ago at a course but never talked much, ended up friends on facebook somehow, you know how it is. He's a nice guy, but in the last year or so he's started posting about new-age philosophies, cures, conspiracies and the like. The kind of stuff a simple look at an independant study can either disprove or at least throw a very wet blanket over.

I have had... a shity week. My tooth broke, leading to a massive anxiety attack, the next day I had to say goodbye to my counsellor of over two years, my dog was mauled on Saturday, and then on Monday I had to fend off a gang of seven drunk teenagers who were attacking my Granda during which one of them broke my nose. I tried to stay positive about the whole thing since my granda was unharmed, but the stress of the whole thing really has been wearing me down especially since I went to the hospital on Friday just for them to tell me I have to wait three months to have my nose fixed.

Apparently this is just fine.

I saw a post come up on my friend feed tonight and I just couldn't leave it alone. I know everyone has a right to an opinion, but I also have a right to an opinion on their opinion, and I was pissed enough to risk sharing. Below is the exchange.
Identity hidden, because I'm nice.

The final post was enough to make me unfriend him.

I tried to keep my temper in check since I know that once you get angry you lose, but seriously! How can anyone think like this nowadays? I totally believe positive thinking is important for mental and even physical health but that's where it stops. The universe isn't listening to you and your petty bullshit, frankly it doesn't have ears!

I know I can't talk this guy around since he's been won over by pseudo-science and misrepresented data, and I should just accept that, but it's so hard to see others taking the world for granted when I've struggled my whole life to find some solid ground in it.

Am I wrong, I don't think so. Am I an asshole... ?

No comments:

Post a Comment